In the last post we were telling you the several advantages of big bag use, but… ¿may it be the only way to pack bulk materials? Well, you can find some others if you seek for them, but none with its potential and versatility. Now we want to show you the main choices apart from the FIBC or big bag, with the aim of offering pratical and valuable information regarding bulk packaging, and going beyond of our products:
FIBC alternative packaging
Drums, barrels & large cans
Suitable for… liquid bulk materials and dangerous goods (ADR).
- Is a robust packaging that protect the product from blows and external contamination. It’s a good solution for dangerous goods isolation.
- It doesn’t need tertiary packaging nor additional transport unit.
- It allows information and advertising printing.
- Its return is expensive as it doesn’t optimize transporting space and the packaging itself is heavy.
- Its reutilisation is restricted.
- It isn’t capable for commercial launching.
- It is barely profitable set in case of ADR liquid expensive goods.
- Its rounded shape doesn’t optimize transport and stocking space.
Boxes, crates and chests
Suitable for… solid bulk goods, assortments of different products in the same packaging.
- It is quite versatile into the limits of products and cargo.
- It doesn’t need tertiary packaging nor additional transport unit out of shrink-wrapping.
- It allows advertising and information layout.
- For cartoon boxes, is a rickety packaging which doesn’t protect contents from blows, rain…
- For wooden boxes, packaging weight has a low profitability -this kind is not so used.
- If a bulk material is being packed into a box, an inner plastic bag would be necessary -to avoid leaks.
- It’s not suitable for commercial launching to general public.
Rucksacks and bundles
Suitable for… bulk solid materials, derivatives and wastes from agriculture sector.
- Is a low cost packaging.
- Usually it doesn’t need transport tertiary packaging.
- A long term exposition to sunlight and rain damages the plastic.
- It doesn’t allow advertising and information layout -as is just a shrink-wrapping.
- It doesn’t protect contents from blow.
- In the bundles case, a pallet must be put below it in order to tranport goods.
Container liner (Polyethylene or polypropylene cover for containers)
Suitable for… solid bulk goods in huge volume for industrial purposes.
- It uses the 100% of transport unit so it optimizes costs of placing the product. It also can be folded to its return.
- It protects the product at the same time that allows air flowing (only for woven polypropylene liner).
- If polypropylene fabric is heavy enough, it offers a perfect sealing.
- It doesn’t allow commercial printing and has to be set up for its sale.
- It isn’t veratile: it has to be use always in the same kind of container.
- It has to be moved to a different storing unit.
Did you find this useful? Do you have any doubt? Feel free to reach us!
Thanks for reading, see you soon 🙂