The Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container (commonly known as ‘FIBC’ or ‘big bag’) have been used for packaging purposes since the 1940’s. FIBC forerunners to contemporary bulk bags were made in PVC and mainly purchased by rubber industry companies to transport black carbon in two tons loads. Big bag use spread to oil and chemical industries due to the advent of polypropylene and specialized weaving technology in the sixties. Before entering the eighties, FIBCs were already being used in any company which handle bulk materials.
Since then, the popularity of these bulk bags has increased exponentially, partly because of the technology designed according to its use -for example automatic filling and discharging machines- that rise handling and producing capacity. The continuous growth of using this kind of packaging is already a signal that FIBC is a convenient option. Regarding this, we want to explain five of the most profitable advantages you will get by using big bags:
Big Bag’s advantages
It is hugely efficient
- One of the cheapest packaging system, bringing a signifiant cost saving (purchasing, stocking, tranporting ones…),
- in addition, there’s no need to use a secundary container, because the product is already contained and protected.
- It also saves usable storage space, as it’s a stackable container that barely has a volume of its own;
- regarding reusable FIBC: the return to its reutilisation perfectly optimizes the space because it can be doubled until its completely plain.
It speeds up filling and emptying operations…
- The FIBC has integrated elevation loops, so it’s not necessary an external transport or handling device.
- It may transport up to 1.000 times its weight,
- in fact, it’s the packaging which has the minor weight per transported ton…
- …and it avoids the need of using pallets or another type of loading unit.
- it makes the compliment of United Nations Regulations (UN Normative) regarding dangerous good’s transport easier.
- Besides the standard models in permanent stock, the big bag is a tailor-made product that can cover any packaging need.
- Thanks to the four color printing process, the FIBC turns into a mobile publicity for promoting the brand or the company, and for indicating essential information regarding the product or handling-transporting instructions.
- By default, all the big bags have a document pocket (usually sewn to its body) that allows any documentation to accompany the goods.
It’s enviromentally friendly
- Mainly they are reusable, and its raw material is totally recyclable (valid only for treatments that do not alter the composition of polypropylene poliamida).
- And, partly because of this, big bags do respect international regulations for packaging wastes.
In the next post we’ll tell you about the alternatives in bulk handling and packaging, although we can already assure that the best choice in bulk packaging is the FIBC.
Would you like to know more advantatges? You wish to be more informed about flexible packaging? Then, feel free to reach us and we’ll solve up all your doubts.
Thanks for reeding, and see you soon 🙂